|Seth at CICU (the first C is for cardiac).|
This condition is likely genetic. That means that it could possibly affect other children we have or his future children (or Mark and Dax's for that matter). The "chance of survival" for Seth is "very nearly 100%" from the surgery. There is a 5% chance that the aorta continues to constrict as he grows and he needs the surgery again in the next 1-2 years. There is a 10% chance that some procedure (the same or a stent to protect the arterial wall) will need to be performed at some point in his life. He can actively participate in any cardiovascular sports (baseball, soccer, basketball), but should avoid isometric activities (weightlifting, wrestling) because they raise the blood pressure "in bursts." I'm praying that doesn't count wrestling with dad.
Now that we know the surgery will take place, we have to make a decision on when the surgery will occur. The doctors recommend doing it as soon as we can get on the schedule-- likely the next 2-3 days. This is the course of action we are most strongly considering. The alternative is waiting several months until he is larger. Not only is there mixed opinion on waiting until the baby grows, Seth is not a normal baby in that he is nearly 10 pounds already. In addition, if we take him home and watch him for several months, I'll need to have heart surgery on the table next to him. I can't imagine every time he takes a deep breath wondering if his heart is giving up. We can't live our life with the phone dialed 9-1- and our finger hovering over 1 again.
The main obstacle we face until the surgery is how to feed him. Natalie can stay here pretty much all the time, but we're not sure she should be here for the next week. (Seth should be in the hospital for 5-7 days if everything goes well.)
Thank you for your prayers, comments, and well-wishing. It really does buoy our spirits. I'd just as soon have never had to face this, but I'm glad to at least face it with the support of those we love.
|Natalie needs a longer arm.|