Tuesday, July 3, 2012
Today I am Grateful
This is Natalie. I have been avoiding writing anything because just reading texts, emails, and comments makes me cry. But I want everyone to know how grateful I am for your kind thoughts and all of your prayers. Today I am trying to not cry as much (crying while I type this doesn't count), and I'm focusing on thinking of some of the small blessings we have already seen.
1. I am grateful for a nurse who was attentive and caught this problem early so we can fix it and move on. It would have been way worse if we'd have gone home and Seth went into heart failure.
2. I am grateful for everyone who has taken and is currently taking care of Seth. Everyone has been very kind and helpful at both hospitals. It's amazing to hear the nurses talk gently and sweetly to the children in their care.
3. I'm grateful for family and friends who've taken the time to include us in their prayers. We struggle to feel worthy of the concern of others when so many of our loved ones bravely face spina bifida, autism, premature birth, Down's Syndrome, MS, infertility, and even the passing of a child (in some cases children) and we're being told Seth will almost certainly lead a relatively unaffected life.
3. I am grateful to live during a time where surgeries like this are possible. It's amazing to think of the things that can be done to save a child. I'm grateful Seth can live a long, happy life.
4. I am grateful to my mom who has been dealing with a 6 and 3 year-old for the last 5 days. I know they are wearing her out, but she never complains.
5. I am grateful that for now that I get to hold Seth and feed him as much as I want. That will change in a few days, but I am grateful that there are no restrictions right now.
6. I am grateful that I am still Seth's mom and he knows it. I am the one who can calm him down and it's clear to me that he knows when I'm holding him. (He likes his dad, too. Just not as much :)
7. I am grateful that Seth holds my finger when he nurses. It makes me weep during the feeding, but it also makes me love him that much more.
8. I am grateful for my family: Mark who is such a great big brother and helper; Dax who has always makes me laugh; Randy who has been a rock through all of this and who helps me keep things in perspective; and Seth, who is already a fighter. I can't wait to spend more time with him. I am so grateful we can be a family forever.